Thursday, August 23, 2018

Number 305, Where Are You?

"Number 305, where are you."  I replied, "here."

I was number 305, it was on my yellow card.  Well, not all of my yellow card.  The remainder of my yellow card was in my vehicle's dash showing through the window.

Have you guessed where I was earlier this week and what I was doing.  If you've been in the situation you most likely already know.  Or maybe you saw me there.

Oh, that's another thing, I can't tell you who was there.  It's all secret to protect the people with numbers.

Well, if you give up . . . I had jury duty.

DUN, DUN, DAHHHH.  (You know the sound effect, on TV when the big secret is revealed).

That's right folks your weatherman had jury duty.  I had been called in July of '17 but because of my back surgery I was excused.  But, this time was different.  And, I didn't want to have an excuse.

I wanted to see and experience the duty of jury.

In the end I spent one day working on the jury.  The phrase that comes to mind when dealing with a jury is "hurry up and wait."

I got there on time but, as most of you know, a jury day moves slowly.  There must be a lot of moving parts behind the seen where other steps of the day depend on one before it and if it doesn't go well then everything gets pushed back.  It's like one giant time traffic jam, everything turns to a standstill, literally.

I had to stand, even though I got there early.  I didn't mind, I had my books ready to read and focus on and I always had my phone.  Yea, entertainment!

We got divided into groups and each went to different courts.

My group was told to go to court A while others had court B.  But, when my group got to court A we were told to come back after lunch.

That was fine with me.  I left and had some food.

Back I was after lunch and my group was waiting outside court A, not being allowed in.  We waited and the time slowly ticked by.  After about 15 minutes of waiting past our time, folks stated to whisper.

Folks were speculating on what was going on and what was causing a delay.  I didn't speculate, I've learned to never make assumptions.

Finally almost an hour past our return time we were escorted into the court.

The judge, who seemed nice (that is until you are the defendant), began to explain what took so long.

I won't go into details, because that would be illegal (which some business folks in this town especially on southwestern Seymour Highway don't understand what 'illegal' means).

So we were not needed that day.

We were instructed to keep calling back each day after 530p to find out if we were needed that day.

In the end I was not needed at all this week and it concludes my jury duty for 2018.

Overall, it was very interesting.  I learned a lot, can say I've done my civic duty, and there really is some pride in it.  Even, though I wasn't on a jury, it still took time out of all of our days, lives, jobs, family time.  So, it feels good to know I did what was needed.

There is also relief that I don't have a persons life in my hands.

If a person is guilty or not, it scares me to know that my decision would have played a part on whether or not their life changes for all time.

Bryan W. Rupp